Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Treasure in Earthen Vessels

"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us." 
II Corinthians 4:7

The Lord, has worked on my heart about hiding His Word in my heart. God has entrusted in us, (earthen vessels) this priceless treasure that has been preserved from generation to generation. The Bible says, "If the gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost."II Cor 4:3. It is my prayer that God's Word can shine as a light through me, so others may see God's power and light in my life for God's honor and glory.

"Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I may not sin against thee."
Psalm 119:11

Another reason or motive for me wanting to memorize God's Word is to act as a filter in my thoughts and actions. If my mind is constantly on Christ and His Word, then it will in turn affect my thought life and actions. As a woman, my mind runs constantly. Unlike men, we don't have the ability to shut our thoughts off and think of nothing. I believe Satan uses things to trigger memories, or thoughts, that may bring us to slip backwards. My desire, with God's help, is to help guard my thought life with scripture. So when the temptation does come, I can reflect back to scripture.  

I have created the acronym "VOW" - my Verse(s) Of the Week that I hope to memorize. VOW - Proverbs 7:1-5 & 16:3.

" My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee. Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye. Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart. Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister; and call understanding thy kinswoman: That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words.  
"Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established."

The Lord led me to these verses to memorize first. They explain the importance of hiding God's Word in our hearts. It's not enough to just read the Bible, but we must write it upon the table of our hearts. God's law should be as the apple of thine eye meaning something, or someone, that is cherished above all others. For me, I need to work on cherishing God's Word above all others. 
My goal is to each week memorize a new portion of scripture and dwell on it all week. The more you put something into your heart and mind, it can't help but flow out. It is my desire that God's Word will flow out of my heart and be my filter against wrong thoughts and actions.  

Just thought I would share what the Lord is working in my life about. I would like to hear what God has been speaking to you about through your devotions!

From the Heart, 
Amber & Baby Pranger 

1 comment:

  1. What an encouraging blog, Amber! Seeing others make the commitment to memorize Scripture is motivating to me. Thank you for sharing your story, and may God bless you as you glorify Him in this way.

    ReplyDelete